So Jennie tagged me in a questionnaire post, and since I love old-school blogging like crazy-cakes, I am thrilled to participate. (I have a dusty old LiveJournal somewhere out there, and it's ALL these kinds of posts.)
1. What is your favorite type of cheese? Boy, they don't start you out with a softball question, do they? I love pretty much any cheese, from pub cheese in a tub to aged pecorino soaked in syrah and everything in between. I am not a huge fan of funky cheeses, however.
2. What are you excited about? Having a long weekend with my little family; a trip to visit my parents and see Allison and Co. in June; an as-yet-undetermined beachy vacation later in the summer. I'm also pretty excited about summer reading. Like, just reading in the summertime in general. I just bought The Rosie Project for $1.99 for my Kindle, and I'm also reading We Are Water in hardback. It's unusual for me to double up on books, but I read the Kindle on my commute and the other at bedtime, so I'm able to keep them separate. I just finished Wave, by the way, and it was a crushing as you might imagine, but also incredibly well written and overall something I think everyone should read.
3. How did you celebrate your last birthday? Hmmmm. I really honestly do not remember much about it. I believe the three of us went out to dinner, probably for burgers, and I do recall getting nice gifts from Joe and Felicity and Allison (Felicity picked out a set of coasters for me that she was so proud of). I guess age 38 is not a standout birthday, but at this point, I'm simply happy to keep having birthdays so that's enough for me.
4. What is on your bedside table? The aforementioned We Are Water. Lotion that a friend brought me from Parrot Cay, which is where we honeymooned so it's a great sense-memory scent; lotion I bought in Charleston that smells kind of like the beach. My jewelry box that my dear friend gave me as a law school graduation gift. A really sad, cheap little lamp because the nice bedside lamps we used to have both got broked/died. A tiki man from our trip to Hawaii. My rope bracelet from Nantucket. My Question-a-Day journal. An old Sony alarm clock. A crumpled up black tank top that I use to cover up the clock so I don't have to sleep with it glowing in my face all night.
5. What do you order from the movie theater concession stand? I have not been to a movie in the theater since The Descendants, but when I do go, I enjoy popcorn and a big Diet Coke, or perhaps a Sprite if I'm feeling wild.
6. Do you have a garden? What's growing? We don't have so much as a blade of grass to call our own, but we do have some pretty sad looking potted plants in our kitchen windowsill -- a primrose, a violet, and a mishmash of herbs (sage, rosemary, and thyme, I think) that we got free from Whole Foods when we bought our turkey there.
7. Any summer plans? See above, question 2. Also we would like to get out to Governor's Island (finally), and perhaps fit in some weekend jaunts to Philly and Boston, plus our annual day trip to NJ to enjoy the suburban pool and the company of our friends. We also plan to mooch off some other friends who have a country house with a pool as much as they will tolerate.
8. Which TV couple(s) are you rooting for? Felicity and Noel. I know. I still can't let it go.
9. What's the last thing you bought? Dinner last night at 21 with Joe. It was technically a postponement of his birthday dinner (from December!), and we had a great time.
10. What's one thing you are passionate about? Being the best mom to Felicity I can be. I know, I know. But it's the first thing that comes to mind for that question. I know the areas where I need to try harder (mostly keeping calm when she is flipping out in public or in front of people about something), but I also feel like I am doing a pretty good job, to be honest with you. That child does not lack for love and unconditional support, if nothing else. Other passions (ugh, I kind of hate that word): ballet, reading, my faith, travel, and being a good friend.
11. What are you grateful for this week? Felicity (always) ("Mama, my love for you fills up the whole world!"). So many hugs and kisses. A fun night out with my husband last night. The friendship of my awesome coworkers. Laughing until I'm crying. Being around people who are utterly unpretentious. My family and friends, near and far. Summer on the way. A bonus day with Felicity on Monday. Things to plan and look forward to. Books, the internet, wearing sandals. Running, and the way it keeps me sane. Farmer's market rhubarb, which reminds me of my grandmother. Our pets, who suffer our love and affection even when they want to be left alone. A nightly glass of wine and time to read before bed. And my first Stitch Fix box coming soon!